Re: A little ZVG (and ZVT) update

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 16:49:36 EST

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:17:21 -0800, Mark E Davidson <mark@basementarcade.com>
wrote:

>Ok,
> Last question and then Ill shut up.
> Being a hardware guy, I passed on getting a ZVG when they came out.
>I never run Mame or other emulation, and don't want to (although feeding
>a computer into a vector monitor is soooooooo cool. :-)
> So, Will ZVT be offered as an upgrade kit and a "all in one"
>configuration? Or will we need to buy both separately? I only ask as if
>it is only an upgrade kit then it would make sense for me to get the
>available ZVG, now and wait for the reset, spacing my payments towards
>my end goal out.

The ZVT is just a ZVG being driven by a small development board, probably this
one: http://www.futurlec.com/AT8535DevBoard.html it comes complete with a
download cable for downloading the firmware onto the board.

I'm going to write some code for the AT90S8535 that either: Drives the ZVG with
test patterns, or directly drives the Cinematronics monitors using a ribbon
cable. The AVR board above can drive the LCD on this page:
http://www.futurlec.com/DevBoardAccessories.html directly ($12, cheap!). It also
has a fully functional serial port (cable available on the same page).

Add a few buttons for menu control and you have a fully function ZVT, just need
a plastic case to fit it all into.

The only thing we're selling is the ZVG; and for a Cinematronics only ZVT, you
don't even need the ZVG.

The code for the above dev board (source and ready to download .HEX file) will
be available on the web site, along with all the info needed to put one
together.

You'll have to wire up a couple of ribbon cable connectors to the prototype
area, and connect a few switches, and maybe put it all in a case. (Your a
hardware guy right? ;-)

Or maybe some other enterprising soul would like to buy the above parts
separably and build them, and charge an additional fee for pre-build ZVT's?

So to answer your question, yes you can consider it an upgrade kit, but you
won't be getting the upgrade from us, but most likely www.futurlec.com. (Unless
I find a better supplier.)

> (man is suck being unemployed) :-)

Don't I know it! Buy 25 ZVG's and keep me employed! (The job market for
engineers in SoCal sucks, I don't *even* want to go looking for one!)

>I too have a pile of monitors I would love to bench test so Im sure I
>was one of the 3-4 people who said "sign me up" for the ZVT

I believe you were. ;-)

-Zonn