Re: Rare find (not really)

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_enteract.com>
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 15:26:07 EST

Hi all,

Ok, now for the truth :-) This was sort of an inside April Fool's joke on
Tom McClintock whom I had the opportunity to meet whilst I was in Texas this
weekend. Tom's a great guy and was nice enough to take me out for lunch and
show me his collection of parts, boards, and games.

The "canopy" is something that I have wanted for a long time, but the chance
of one showing up at this point is very small. After analysing the flyer
many times and coming up with a design that would allow me to replicate it
at least cosmetically, I took the project to Rick Schieve who has become an
expert game cabinet maker. Rick was able to fill in the gaps of my design
on the fly, and we had the box portion of the canopy completed in about 4
hours. I had already acquired the square tubing and misc hardware, and had
drawn up the 4-player marquee artwork based off of scans from the front of
the manual.

I had taken my 4-player to Rick's for reference of dimensions and square
tubing height estimations, and when I got it home, the monitor had died.
Suprisingly to me, the monitor suffered from the EXACT problem that was
mentioned in one of the G08 service bulletins Matt Rossiter posted just days
prior; one of the teepee of resistors had broken at the base during
transport. This is an early version deflection board, and does not have the
copious amounts of glue holding those resistors in place (glue blobs were
apparently Gremlin's solution to that service bulletin). I fixed the
monitor after taking the picture :-)

Mark Jenison