No focus on WG6100 - the solution

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 22:35:15 EDT

        Turns out the tube socket on the neck board was bad. The focus-grid
pin had broken off internally; it would make contact while cold, but as it
warmed up the broken edge would separate and break the connection.

        (What fooled me was that it was a _gradual_ loss of focus; I'd have
thought a broken socket would either not work at all, or go out suddenly.
I'd _also_ have thought that you'd hear some arcing if the voltage was
actually jumping the gap, but apparently not...)

        Does anyone know of a good source for CRT sockets OTHER than
cannibalizing them off of other neck boards? Fortunately, _this_ time I
had a dead WG6100 neck board to steal it from, but I doubt I'll be so lucky
the next time this happens...

"It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral
busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may
at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will
torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences."
-- C. S. Lewis