Re: ZVG

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 20:01:05 EDT

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:13:38 -0700, "Bret Pehrson" <bret@infowest.com> wrote:

>Zonn -- have you looked at WRITE_PORT_BUFFER_UCHAR?

What I need is the ability to DMA a chunk of memory to the ZVG using the ECP
port in ECP mode.

All of the drivers I've looked at allow me to twiddle the bits of a parallel
port, but none of them allows me to set a pointer to a chunk of memory and call
a routine that will start a DMA transfer.

I push the ECP port pretty close to it's limits, getting the vector information
to it. The "bit twiddle drivers" must change to the privileged mode of the
processor each time a bit is twiddle, not only is this slow, but requires me to
hang around looping on the parallel part, when I need to be running emulation
and filling up the next buffer of vectors.

The need for DMA is to allow it to deal with the ECP when it needs dealing with,
without the foreground having to loop on a bit.

If anyone knows of a driver that does this I'd be interested, if anyone is
interested in writing such a driver, write me and we'll work something out!

-Zonn