Re: Gravitar Purchase

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 20:07:07 EDT

On Thu, 8 May 2003 09:11:47 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>> the MPSA56 transistor (Q101) with a heavier-duty NTE50. There are quite a
>> few other parts which ought to be upgraded, both in the deflection and
>> high-voltage PCBs, which are not covered by the LV2000 board.
>
>Hmm - been a while since I read the FAQ. Well, to the original poster, I
>can say then that I have a Tempest and Space Duel running LV2000's and no
>other mods, and they haven't had trouble since I rebuilt them (3-5 years
>now).

        The other mods are primarily concerned with updating the original 1st-
and 2nd-generation revs of the deflection and HV boards to the final
3rd-generation rev. Supposedly, Wells-Gardner changed a few things to make
the boards more reliable ("reliable" being a relative term in this case :D
) .

        Whether or not they _need_ to be done is a matter of opinion, to be
sure... but if you're doing a Zanen Get-Well and LV-2000 job _anyway_, I
figure you may as well do the mods as long as you've got it on the bench...
"It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral
busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may
at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will
torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their consciences."
-- C. S. Lewis