STAR CASTLE playing in "cloaking device" mode...

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 21:53:25 EDT

        Just came back from the Dallas auction with a Cinematronics STAR CASTLE
with an interesting problem. The game plays fine, and the monitor _seems_
to work... but the display is only drawing the high-intensity vectors, not
the regular ones; i.e. you can only see your shots, the little sparks that
chase you around, your ship's thruster flare, and so on. Other than this,
the game appears to behave normally. (Though I'm not 100% sure about all
the sounds; it was a bit hard to tell with all the ambient noise,
especially when the TEMPEST behind me and the GALAGA further down the row
both freaked out and started generating all kinds of random sounds. :) I
_think_ they're all there, though.)

        So -- has anyone ever seen anything like this, and what is/are the most
likely suspect(s) for this kind of behavior? :)
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)