X-RAYS

From: James G Watt <kinetic-arts_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 13:05:57 EDT

I know we joke about x-ray radiation allot here but as my collection of
videogames grows it's something I'm beginning to give serious though to,
after all these machines were really supposed to be dumped 15 - 20 years
ago! and in the time since then they've been maintained repaired and in
some cases extensively modified by totally unqualified people (eg
ourselves). It strikes me as all together possible that some of these
monitors could easily be in an altogether dicey state.

So has anyone given any thought to devising a quick and dirty method of
checking your monitor for x-rays? Obviously we don't want to invite the
boys from health and safety round because we can guess what they'll say
but it must be worth giving it a shot ourselves.

The one method that occurs to me is obtain some x-ray film (dental or
medical supply places must have this stuff) - get it in some form of
light tight envelope (I assume x-ray film is sensitive to other forms of
light?) and tape it to the front of a running monitor for some time.
Process the film and see if there's any fogging.

The only tricky bit would be interpreting the results..
How much (if any) fogging over how long an exposure time is acceptable /
worrying / buy a coffin now.

Has anyone done any research down these lines? Anyone know any
radiographers?

If not I may look into it. Anyone got any thought?

---
James G Watt
http://www.kinetic-arts.co.uk
Part of the Video Arcade Game Collectors WebRing.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.