Re: X-RAYS

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 10:40:08 EDT

On Sun, 25 May 2003, John Robertson wrote:

> And a better representation of the other article I posted previously:
>
> http://www.belljar.net/xray.htm

I found this line particularly interesting:

  Before turnng on the power, make sure that you have an operating x-ray
  monitor. This will be needed for checking tubes for output as well as for
  checking the effectiveness of the shielding. Bob uses a simple Geiger
  counter circuit which was provided as a kit from Electronic Goldmine (P.O.
  Box 5408, Scottsdale, AZ 85261).

If a Geiger counter will detect X-rays, then that would be a fairly easy way
to test the monitors.

Except I don't see that kit at Goldmine, and a Google search isn't bringing
up anything less than $150.

Another simple way, if you know a dentist, would be to borrow some of those
small X-ray films he has you put in your mouth, stick them near the monitor
for a while, and have him develop them.

My cousin happens to be a dentist -- and I happen to have helped him buy his
Ms. Pac Man machine, so I may try this. I asked him this weekend if and how
he tested his machine. He said he had put films around the exam room when
he first opened, left them there for a few weeks, and they showed nothing.