Space Duel Board X-Axis Deflection Problem

From: Dave Langley <robotron_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 16:41:39 EDT

Hi ...

I'm trying to get a Space Duel Board running from my newly acquired game ...

Initially the board was dead. I started substituting socketed components
and discovered that the AVG chip was bad. This was replaced with one of
clays replacement chips (Thanks Clay!) and the board now runs with no
X-axis deflection at all.

Probing around with my scope I failed to see any DAC output on the working
board, what do you look for?

What I did notice was in the 'bad' X-axis of the non-working board there
were spikes coming from the DAC output. This was different from the
working board so I changed it .... and I now have X-axis deflection but
only on the RHS of the screen ...

It's worth saying that the DAC (AM6012) I fitted was a used one that may or
may not have been working, but I have similar problems with a Star Wars
boardset too!

Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Dave Langley