Re: monitor degaussing

From: SteveT <stuorto_at_suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 12:05:10 EDT

Mark,
I have never heard anyone suggest that a monitor/tv should be off before
attempting to degauss it, before I read it here. As a matter of fact, in
my opinion you need to have it ON so that you can see if there is a
"stubborn" area that requires more attention. On your question about why
certain tv's/monitors are more prone to having their purity disturbed
when moving them , there a number of reasons. The most important are the
tube size and it's proximity to other magnetic fields and the earth's
magnetic field itself!.
In very large TV's, such as a 31" or larger an additional coil is often
added to the tube to correct for the earths magnetic field. Some of
those Tv's have a switch that sets the position of the TV (North-South)
etc
A lot of times if you just pickup a TV or monitor and flip it on it's
side to work on it the purity will be messed up but flipping it back
corrects it.
As for your monitor in your van, though it's orientation changes my
guess is it's a small screen size hence less effected and probably once
degaussed by it's internal degaussing coil and left in a fixed position
that the metal of the van acts like a shield and stabilizes it further.
I can tell you a lot of the portable tv's made to run in cars/vans
(12v/ac) were equipped with a button on the back to manually activate
the degaussing coil!, so the manufactures thought it was a big problem.

Steve