RE: Tempest help please!

From: Sean McLachlan <sean_at_lithoflexo.com>
Date: Thu Oct 09 2003 - 11:13:37 EDT

Unless I have been misinformed about "ripple" (Somebody please tell me if I
am wrong), it is just AC voltage (picture a sine wave) flowing down the same
wire as a DC voltage. So all you have to do is change your digital
multimeter to measure AC voltage and stick it on the +5 line. If you see
any AC voltage, you have ripple. When I measured my Asteroids, I got
readings in the .005 to .010 of a volt range. I don't know what the
acceptable range is, but that is pretty low. Knowing how sensitive games
can be to the +5, I'd say anything over .1 would be cause to start checking
the AR. I've never had to do more than replace a couple burnt up diodes on
them, but they don't have that many parts and the schematic reads very
straight forward.

Sean McLachlan
MIS Manager
LithoFlexo grafics inc.