Crystal circuits

From: David Shoemaker <davids_at_oz.net>
Date: Tue Oct 21 2003 - 01:43:13 EDT

While building up the two beta 9100 keyboard wedge boards I realized I didn't have any 22pf caps. So I tossed a pair of 100pf caps onto my breadboard of the circuit and everything worked great.

Then I went to build the perfboard version and realized I only had two of the 100pf caps and as I wanted to leave the breadboard version intact for now so I grabbed a pair of .1uf caps.

Hooked everything up and it didn't work.

So I checked everything twice more and still no go. Got to wondering if maybe the value of those caps is really important and realized I have NO idea how to spec them nor even what they do.

So can anyone enlighten me?

I have seen circuits use 18pf, 22pf and 27pf for the crystal caps. The 100pfs do work, but I wonder now if I just got lucky.

David