Re: An Amplifone problem I haven't seen before.....

From: Dave Langley <robotron_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu Nov 13 2003 - 07:53:24 EST

At 09:09 am 13 11 2003, you wrote:
>Here's one I haven't seen before... HV units works great except that after
>a few
>seconds the 5w 50 ohm resistor on the +24v side gets red hot. I'm thinking
>it's
>not safe to run like this as it is smoking by now.
>
>Anyone seen this before?

I had this recently on my Space Duel. The HV board had a red is dead HVT
fitted which had been fine for a while ....

Unfortunately I was out and my wife had put the game on for the kids to
play, by the time she hit the 'panic' button and shut all power off in the
game room the damage was done. On inspection the resistor had gotten so
hot it had melted and burned a hole through the HV board itself, the house
stank of (toxic?) fumes for a while and you could detect it's residual
odour for about 4 weeks afterwards :o(

When I tested the HV board it was dead, I pulled the HVT and with a dummy
load fitted all was well (even the regs and BU406D) but the Red HVT did not
give anything out, I suspect that if I fitted a wintron (and a new
resistor) the board would have been fine, though in the end I decided to
try one of the arcadeshop HV boards which has been working fine .....

Hope this helps! Which HVT does your board have fitted?

Dave Langley
www.robotron-2084.co.uk