Tempest strangeness

From: Phil Morris <phil_at_morris0.fsnet.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jan 08 2004 - 05:04:44 EST

I've just been fixing up a Tempest boardset that had a fair few faults. All
are now fixed bar one which has me scratching my head somewhat.

 From searching around the 'net I found a description of a similar problem
that almost exactly matched mine, which can be seen here:

http://tinyurl.com/2t674

The only subtle difference between his board problems and mine is that my
stars scroll upwards between levels while his are almost static.
Nevertheless, that fault combined with the other two (which are *exactly*
the same) are similar enough to make me think we are looking at the same cause.

Unfortunately there was no definitive solution to this post, although there
were suggestions on possible causes.

In trying to resolve the fault I've tried:

a) Cleaning and resoldering the two interconnects between the AVG and AUX
boards
b) Tried another known good AUX board (made no difference so the fault must
be on the AVG - mustn't it?)
c) Tried another interconnect cable
d) Checked for obvious physical faults on the AVG
e) As suggested in the replies to the original RGVAC posting, checked the
interfacing logic between the two boards

So now I'm stumped.

Anyone got any ideas please?

Thanks,
Phil