Re: MC1 revealed!

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Jan 22 2004 - 01:54:27 EST

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 20:53:04 -0600, "Joe" <joe@joesarcade.com> wrote:

>I was hunting around the US Patent office online for some vector related
>patents. And I came across a patent named "Inductive reactive voltage
>regulator"
>
>Well, this patent outlines a HV power supply that uses our friend MC1!
>
>Here's a link to the patent, if your interested:
>http://shorterlink.com/?KGWLR9
>
>If that doesn't work, it's patent number 4,435,746
>
>So, if interested.. Check it out.

That was a pretty cool read! Thanks for the post!

It also strengthens my believe that the Amplifone HV regulator wasn't very good,
and was only used because it was *cheap*.

When both are working properly there is less blooming artifacts on a WG6100 than
there are on the Amplifone. "Expensive active components" (to quote the patent)
do a better job of regulating than cheaply built inductors.

On the other hand the regulator on the WG6100 was pretty cheaply made as well.

A well designed HV regulator is the golden box on the Cinematronics monitors.
It used a u723 regulator, and seldom has problems.

-Zonn