Re: Silicone for transformer repair

From: <Artfromnys_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 19:20:21 EST

In a message dated 2/3/2004 5:28:06 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rlboots@cedar-rapids.net writes:

> We had red, green, and blue glyptol at my Real Job but have mostly replaced
> it with Loctite. I usually only used the blue glyp, switched over to the
> blue Loctite (and sometimes purple).
>
> And just who are you calling old? Next you'll be asking what a tungar bulb
> is!!

We used to use the red glyptol to repair cracks in the wax casings on the
flybacks in the old tube sets. Not zactly sure what a tungar bulb is but IIRC it
is some sort of old rectifier from the 4 and 5 prong tube days of radio.

All right OT but what the hell - one more - whats a ballast tube, and why did
line cords on the old radios (guys, if your idea of old is the 1940s and
1950s, this isnt your question :) have a resistance of IIRC 5 or 6 ohms or so?

Art