Re: Battlezone pt 2:

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Wed Feb 04 2004 - 13:57:10 EST

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Rodger Boots wrote:
>

>>A little late with this, but here are datasheets for the 1N100
>>

>Thanks. They are fairly close. The differences seem to be:
>
> If Ir
>
>1n100 500mA 5uA
>1n270 200mA 100uA
>
>So the 270 can handle less forward current, but more reverse.

I wouldn't say "handle more reverse", the reverse spec is leakage
current. You don't want to purposely force reverse current, unless it's
a zener diode. In that case you HAVE to use reverse current. But on a
regular diode reverse current is a bad thing and some circuits will be
degraded by it.

One circuit from my past where reverse current was a killer was a diode
connected to +5 on one end and the input of a analog to digital
convertor on the other. The idea was for the diode to protect the input
of the ADC from going too far positive. But at high temperatures the
leakage in the diode was causing enough error in the ADC readings to be
a problem.

But in low impedance, like power supply, use there shouldn't be a problem.