Re: Shaky Star Wars

From: MyPearl <mypearl_at_dds.nl>
Date: Sat Feb 07 2004 - 15:46:46 EST

I ruled out the power source by hooking up my Tempest game to the Amplifone. This way the amplifone was powered by the Tempest and isolated from the Star Wars (switched off). Now the Tempest display on the amplifone wobbled...

Never saw Tempest display so nice though :)

The ground I added (only for test) was from the game ground to the amplifone ground. I tested the input voltage on the amplifone against both the amplifone and the game ground, no wobbling there. No voltage across both grounds either.

I did add a small PC 12V fan in series with a 100 ohm resistor to the 7824CV regulator on the HV unit. Could the HV board cause my problem?

Thanks again for your help...

  If it is happening on BOTH channels it almost has to be a ground loop problem. Monitor input ground needs to go to game board, no duplicate grounds to other places. Nothing else connected to monitor power inputs either, they have to be isolated. It's a long shot, but could be leakage in the isolation transformer causing current to run through the input ground.

  Didn't you say something about adding a ground? Also, does it still do it with any fluorescent lighting off. You're not running another game close to it, are you? You didn't add a fan?