Tempest Boardset Barreling

From: Dave Langley <robotron_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue Feb 10 2004 - 10:09:14 EST

Hi ...

I have a tempest boardset that has started barreling (is that the correct
term for the opposite of pincushioning???).

The fault is NOT the monitor as a different board was tried and was
flawless, also if the board was moved to a different game then the fault
moved ...

Anyway the picture looks OK when you are playing the game, although there
may be a slight amount of distortion if I was being picky, but when the
playing grid zooms to the next level and the lines are being drawn across
the full area of the tube the straight lines become curves! This fault
only manifests itself at the bottom of the screen (ie left/right/top are OK).

Any ideas where I might start looking at?

Is this likely to be a fault in the pincushion correction/and or DAC stages
or elsewhere?

I can upload some pictures of this effect if anyone wants a peek ....

Dave Langley
www.robotron-2084.co.uk