RE: Some G08 FAQ updates . . .

From: Joseph J. Welser <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 10:17:22 EST

    RE: BJTs, I agree with everything you said (forgot about the breakdown
voltage aspect of reversing C and E, though.) In my previous post, beta =
base-to-collector current gain, so when I said "bad-beta" that's essentially
the same as saying "gain sucks" (what you said.)

    RE: MOSFETs. What you said is true if the bulk is always tied to the
source, which is not always the case. The device does not care which
terminal is the source or drain except for the fact that the source might be
tied to the substrate (the substrate also might be tied to the most positive
or negative voltage present in the system -- most positive for PMOS devices
or most negative for NMOS devices.) How could there be a parasitic diode
between Drain and Source in a power MOSFET when both D and S are the same
type of material? All MOSFETs have a parasitic BJT present from D-B-S -- oh
maybe that's what you mean, if B and S are always tied together, than that
BJT is essentially a diode. But that occurs in every MOS device. Anyways,
I guess we are way off topic.....

    OB Vector: So anyone planning on bidding on that Zektor on eBay?
Anyone know who's selling it?

  _____