RE: Atari XY High pitch squeal

From: Sean McLachlan <sean_at_lithoflexo.com>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 12:32:32 EST

> I am looking at a purchasing a Space Duel which has a high pitch
> squeal in
> the monitor. What are the potential causes of this squeal?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

It's the HV unit. I don't know the root cause of it, but I "fixed" one of
mine by wedging a toothpick underneath the HV cage or between the pcb and
the cage. It seems to dampen the sound which a assume is caused by
vibration in the HV section.

Bonus question: Does the squeal mean the HV is getting flaky? My G05 has
run for 2 years with the toothpick fix, but it sees maybe 3 hours of play
time a week.

Sean McLachlan