Re: HV DIODE VARO H180 vs. H1812

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Mar 12 2004 - 02:11:05 EST

Can't see that a slow diode would add a load to the flyback, we are
not talking about any real current here. The only result would be
inefficient HV rectifying and thus lower than expected HV.

John :-#)#

>Although microwave diodes can certainly take the voltage, I wonder
>if they are fast enough. Probably not, would put additional loading
>on the flyback.
>

>Tom McClintock wrote:
>
>>The H1812 is rated at 20kVDC, and I believe the H180 is rated less.
>>The H1812 should be just fine. Then again, reading back through
>>some of the vectorlist posts, some people have said an H1812 will
>>not work in a 15V2000 (granted, not a problem for you Steve) so
>>what's up with that?
>>
>>Alternatively, you could sub in two 12kVDC microwave rectifier
>>diodes glommed together in series. James Sweet did this, and if it
>>weren't for a two month back-order I would have tried the same
>>thing. The two microwave diodes can be had for about US$2.50 each
>>and at 24kVDC in series, I doubt you would ever need to replace
>>them. Requires a little more effort to insert them in the HV cage,
>>but if you have no other choice...
>>

>>tm
>>
>>Steven Winslow wrote:
>>
>>>Hello Everyone !
>>>
>>>What are the differences between the HV Diodes Varo H180 & Varo
>>>H1812? Are spec sheets available anywhere?
>>>

>>>I've got a buddy that just blew his H180 in his WG V2000 and I've
>>>got a few H1812's here (that I believe are for G05's?). Can I
>>>replace the H180 with the H1812?
>>>
>>>Does anyone have a source for H180's if not?
>>>
>>>TIA - for any information that you may be able to provide!
>>>
>>>Steve

John's Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T Call
(604)872-5757 or Fax 872-2010 (Pinballs, Jukes, VideoGames)
www.flippers.com