Re: Rocket Racer Source Code Found!

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Mon Mar 15 2004 - 09:45:55 EST

Chris Bartz wrote:

> My boss told me it was run on modified Star Castle boards. What
> exactly that might entail to get it working, I don't know. But, the
> source is documented so hopefully Zonn or someone else can make it
> happen.

Do you mean hardware like this?
http://www.ionpool.net/mystery_pcb.jpg

> Yes, OCR is what I meant, not scan. It will take a while -- there
> are at least a hundred pages and the paper is 20 years old and
> showing it's age a bit.

I would be very careful about OCRing the pages of code. You will
invariably have to go line by line to make sure the OCR engine has
translated the text properly. Might be easier (?) to get a small group
of people to manually type in three or four pages each.

Here's a little more description of Rocket Racer that was sent to me:

"I pretty sure Rocket Racer used a 4-way joystick, a fire button, a
thrust button, a hyperbomb button, and maybe sometimes it also had a
brake button. Rocket Racer was played like a winding-road driving game
with the exception that up-down movement of the joystick allowed you to
hop over or duck under obstacles. It was a fast game. Space games really
fit vector graphics because of the mostly-black background. You could
take it slow in Rocket Racer, but something would crash into you from
behind. The limited up-down movement of your racer was interesting.
Playing modern Star Wars pod racing games reminds me of Rocket Racer,
but add a laser cannon and hyperbomb."

tom