Re: Rocket Racer Source Code Found!

From: Graham Toal <gtoal_at_gtoal.com>
Date: Tue Mar 16 2004 - 20:56:36 EST

> 1$: LD HL,1250 ; IF NEGATIVE PUT THIS ENEMY BACK AT
> 1000Z
> ; THIS IS WHERE PASSING TEST WILL BE
>
> 2$: LD (OPPO3Z),HL

You know, if you have the source, it shouldn't be too much of
a stretch to do a macro translation into C. It'll be easier to
tweak this into efficient code than the sort of translations we've
done before, working from unknown contents in rom, because you'll
know from the source when flags are significant, when not to save
state etc.

In fact I jotted down some ideas about what a source level code
generator might look like: http://www.gtoal.com/sbt/hal/z80.def.txt
- somewhat based on a macro assembler I used to use at Edinburgh in
the 70's. I have the mostly completed source of a z80 translator
here: http://www.gtoal.com/sbt/z80/z80.c which could easily be
modified to work from sources rather than binaries.

It's not quite decompiling but it's close - you can improve the
code by hand to something more high level if you want, by small
stepwise refinements that provably don't change the behaviour.

It's one way to reproduce completely accurate gameplay without
the need for regenerating the roms and using an emulator.

One for Zonn's Zektor card?

Graham