RE: Gravitar Repro Control Panel Overlays

From: Adam Pletcher <adamp_at_Volition-inc.com>
Date: Thu Mar 18 2004 - 09:44:20 EST

>Are you using UV inks for side art?

While we're on the subject, here's some UV-related facts I thought I'd throw
out there. I gathered this info while researching repro artwork last year.

There's two relevant ink factors, UV resistance and curing method.

There's typically two curing methods, UV cured and solvent/air cured. It's
strictly the method in which the inks are dried/set on the artwork. Both
curing types can offer UV resistance (in terms of fading over time).

Typically the more expensive inks offer UV resistance, whether they're UV
cured or not. Meaning, a UV cured ink isn't necessarily more UV resistant
over time than a solvent/air-cured ink.

So when someone says they use "UV inks" you might verify that means "UV
resistance" and not just "UV cured".

This info mostly came from one print manager I was dealing with last year.
I wouldn't stake my life on it's accuracy, but he's a respectable guy with
lots of experience doing the high-quality repros we've seen in the past few
years.

- Adam