Re: Star Wars OVERVOLTAGE

From: Jonathan Stanley <jstanley1_at_cfl.rr.com>
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 13:33:26 EST

Let me add a couple things I've checked since my last post:

The overvoltage LED stays on even when CR1 is pulled and the crt is
working. (That's probably normal)

My MPU401D did not fail when the Wintron did, but I did replace it
with a new one anyway - no change.

Since Q4 MCR100-3 seems to be an important part of the overvoltage
section, I replaced it even though it tested ok. No change.

To see if I really am getting overvoltage, I replaced R6 with a 2.2K
resistor which should have knocked a good 5KV or more off the signal
- overvoltage LED still on, so I put the 3.9K resistor back in.

I checked Q4 from the focus block to the board, solid, ohms out.

I checked the DAG ground wiring, solid, ohms out.

I rechecked all the resistors in the overvoltage circuit - all within
spec.

Remember, the game looks and plays perfectly when I have CR1 pulled,
and plenty of range on my brightness control. It is probably at 45%
so I have lots of range either direction. In fact, both R7 and R17
are just about in their mid-points. (Oh, and I checked R7 and R17
for proper resistance as well).

Is it possible the LED could be "lying" and that I don't really have
an overvoltage problem? What could cause that?

Thanks!