Re: Star Wars OVERVOLTAGE

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Sun Mar 28 2004 - 03:48:37 EST

Looking at the schematic you would have one of the following problems
(you don't have to do all of this, it's mostly different ways to find
the problem):

1) R17 not being properly grounded either due to a bad connection at
P102/J102 or the DAG not grounded. (The DAG is the aquadag coating on
the outside of the CRT, there is usually a spring or braid that lays
against that and goes to chassis ground, and in this case to R17.)

2) Bad R17 or R18. Simple check here, put a short across C10 and see
if the HV will run. If it does the problem is most likely the DAG
ground, R17, or R18, or an open C10. If it still trips the problem is
most likely Q5. Remove the short from C10.

3) With HV tripped you could also measure the voltages on Q5. In a
tripped state you should have 0 volts on both the base and emitter, if
not then Q5 is bad.

4) With CR1 disconnected and the supply running Q5 base should be under
8 volts, emitter would be .6 volts less than the base. CR4 should drop
6.8 volts, so if Q5 emitter is less than 6.8 volts there shouldn't be
anything left by the time you get to R19.

My bet is on Q5, an arcing flyback could have damaged it (especially if
it was the focus block doing the arcing).