Re: TECH: Couple more TEMPEST questions

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Sat May 08 2004 - 22:41:45 EDT

On Sat, 08 May 2004 20:31:36 -0500, you wrote:

>Are the IC pins labeled as not "G" on the Tempest schems not "ground?" If
>so, they should be at a steady high logic level, right? On my boardset, some
>are low and some are pulsing. Specifically, A/B1 and B/C1, pins 1 and 19 on
>the main board are low. F2(8304B) pin 9 and H2(new LS245) pin 19, both on
>the main board, are pulsing. H3 pins 1 and 19 on the aux. board are low.

        Actually, no. On the 74LS245, G* is a controls the tri-stating of the
bus. When G* is high, the A and B inputs go into their high-Z
(high-impedance) state; when G* is low, then data flows from A to B or from
B to A depending on the state of the DIR input.
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)