RE: TECH: Tempest +5v line

From: James Bright <james_at_quarterarcade.com>
Date: Sun Jun 06 2004 - 19:48:04 EDT

It is what is it. "Atari's Audio Regulator II board uses +SENSE and
-SENSE to help regulate voltage on the power supply. Unfortunately, bad
connections can sometimes cause invalid return values and affect voltage
reading."

Bad connections at the edge connections, or connectors that get dirty
over time, cause increased resistance. The ARII board tries to
compensate (using the + and - SENSE lines) and supplies more voltage.
This can lead to burn out of R29 (I've actually witnessed this happen in
a game that was working moments before). I am sure I've seen a more
detailed explanation before, but I just wrote down what I needed for my
notes. Simply removing this feedback helps prevent the burnt edge
connector. At worst, you might (eventually) have a lower +5V line. But
what you're really doing is avoiding burning up R29 and the melting the
edge connector.

JB

--James Bright
www.QuarterArcade.com