FS: Quantum marquee reprints

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sat Jul 31 2004 - 00:47:31 EDT

First off, I want to publicly thank Scott Evans for allowing me to lease the
original art work. Without his cooperation, I would not have attempted this
project. THANK YOU SCOTT!!

Yes I've taken the liberty of calling these reprints rather than repro's
(reproductions) as I've used the original artwork and color codes.

These are silk-screened on plexiglas. Two reasons I chose plexi over glass;
cost and preserving the value of original marquees.

The plexi was laser cut and are perfect matches for length and width. The
thickness of the glass (with paint) was measured at 0.188". Unless I put in
a special order for 1000 pounds of plexi, I could not get plexi at that
thickness. My closest choices were 0.175" or 0.200". I felt being under
thick was better than over thick and went with the 0.175". With the paint
it's even a little closer.

The silk screening matches the original, five colors, plus an overall white
backing coat. The (non-screened) front sides all still have backing paper
on them for protection. All screened sides will be checked to verify no
scratches before packing & shipping.

I certainly learned a lot about printing going through this project. To any
of the repro people out there, don't worry about new competition, I don't
want to do this again! I did this project because of the difficulties I had
in trying to find a decent condition marquee. I was able to finally get
one, but I think I'm going to use one of these non-scratched reprints.

Even though I was able to use the original art work and color codes, it's
still amazingly difficult to color match a 20+ year old item. The sample we
used for verification had nicotine stains. Also, colors don't reflect the
same across plexi and glass. Finally, colors age from their original tone
over time. The light blue caused the most problems, and I'm sure some
people will not be satisfied with it. We did the best we could do. Even
with the original color codes, we had at least 10 color match attempts on
the light blue alone.

I know the market for Quantums is pretty low, and contrary to popular
belief, at least with the printer I ended up using, there was no significant
quantity level price breaks. When the Quantum CPO's were done, I think the
figure was around 75. I'm guessing that there is less demand for marquees
(going on the assumption that more marquees survived than in tact CP's). So
this was a small run, low double digits. Based on what I went through (took
over six months), I doubt it will be done again. I've already resigned
myself that I won't be able to recoup all my money outlay, but it's too late
to worry about that now.

That all said, here's 3 pics:
http://www.joesarcade.com/joem/Quantum_marquee/
There is a low res and a high res pic of the front of my reprint and an
original. The original is on the bottom in both cases. The other picture
shows the back of a reprint with the white backing coat and the front of
one, as it would be shipped (with the backing paper still on). I am not
trying to hide anything, that's why I have a pic of an original with the
reprint. If you might be interested in buying, I personally think they came
out great, BUT if you do not like what you read in terms of process
(described above) or see in color matching, then by all means, do not get
one.

Keeping in the spirit of offering stuff for sale on the vector list, I am
giving a vector list discount over the newsgroup. I will be posting this
same message on the newsgroup except this pricing paragraph. The vector
list price is $51 plus shipping. YOU MUST FORWARD ME A COPY OF THIS VECTOR
LIST POST TO GET THE VECTOR LIST PRICE! I wish I could have offered it
cheaper, but it turned out way more expensive than originally thought. The
newsgroup price is $56 for the first, $54 for the second and $52 for the 3rd
and beyond (plus shipping). Shipping in the USA will be by USPS Priority
Mail, and is $6.00 for one to anywhere in the USA. (FYI, I'm not ripping
anyone on shipping, with shipping supplies, I'll actually lose on shipping
to the west coast). I will ship anywhere, but I'll need to get a quote if
you're outside the USA. I'll also need to get a quote to ship multiples.
I'll take cash, check, money order, cashiers check or non-credit card paypal
(paypal id at bottom). I'll wait a week or so on personal checks to clear.
Other forms of payment I'll do all I can to ship within 2 business days.
You are more than welcome to pick up in person to save all shipping charges.

If you have any questions or comments on this, please let me know. I'll
answer as quickly as I can. Thanks for reading what I know as a long
message for a simple marquee reprint.

Joe
joemagiera@ameritech.net