Re: Semi OT: MS Pacman recompiler test program

From: Graham Toal <gtoal_at_gtoal.com>
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 08:11:57 EDT

> I thought, since we're all geeks here, that this might be of interest.
>
> Inspired by Graham Toal's CCPU recompiler, I've written a recompiler that
> currently recompiles Z80->C. It's a generic framework, however, and I've
> already got a 6502 disassembler with a 6809 one being coded as I type
> this.

I don't know why you tagged this as [OT] ...

            http://www.gtoal.com/software/VectorLator

seems pretty on-topic to me ;-) By the way, that page is a wiki (click the
Praetorian Pi symbol at the foot to edit it) so feel free to join in.)

I have hopes of generating sources that will run on actual vector
displays, using Zonn's card. It'll be nice to see the Vectrex games
for example on the big screen. (OK, I guess we could do things like
that with regular emulators, but having an editable source, albeit
somewhat unreadable, does let you tweak things.)

The first success of the project was Tailgunner which I ported to
C some time ago, and recently got a lot of help from Norbert Kehrer
who created a java framework to run the translated code in:

  http://web.utanet.at/nkehrer/Tailgunner.html

That's a perfect example of modifying the translated code because I wrote
a vector-style text display procedure in C and Norbert added some in-game
help info in a style which doesn't clash with the game the way a raster
overlay would.

regards

Graham