Re: Asteroids cheat (again)

From: Matthew Sell <msell_at_ontimesupport.com>
Date: Mon Nov 22 2004 - 12:53:45 EST

Guys,

It would be interesting to compare the version 1 and 2 programs to
determine what was *actually* changed between the two versions. Maybe
that might give a clue as to whether or not an actual fix was included
in version 2.

Just a thought.

    - Matt

Neil Bradley wrote:

>>I hate to re-post this, but I only got one reply last
>>time and it didn't solve the issue. I have a customer
>>who REALLY wants his Asteroids to have the score cheat
>>that is mentioned on so many web sites as being in the
>>original version of the ROMs. Unfortunately, neither
>>he nor I can make it work. I've tried both original
>>and version 2 roms in the original hardware and even
>>tried it in MAME and could not seem to make it work
>>anywhere. Does anyone know for sure that this cheat
>>exists and if so, how to go about doing it? I
>>appreciate anyone's help in figuring this out.
>>

>Perhaps my perspective will help -
>
>I believe it's a hoax, much like the rumors of being able to drive to the
>mountains in Battlezone. I've heard of this "cheat" since 1996 when I
>wrote EMU (old vector emulator that predates MAME). With version 1 ROMs,
>and I'll repeat, with version 1 ROMs, I have tried this no less than 30
>times. I had owned an Asteroids upright, version 1, since the mid 80s and
>have also tried it countless times and had never been successful.
>
>More telling, I've found and looked at the collision detection code in
>Asteroids rev 1 and there is NOTHING that would exclude a region. There is
>no relationship to the scores or any of the text in terms of collision
>detection. They are handled by completely separate sections of the code.
>Coding up something to specifically do what is being claimed would have to
>be deliberate.
>
>I'm convinced that it's a fool's errand to look for it. Just one of those
>tales of arcade folklore.
>
>-->Neil

Matthew Sell
Programmer
UNIX System Administrator
On Time Support, Inc.
www.ontimesupport.com
Join the Metrology Software Discussion List METLIST!
http://www.ontimesupport.com/metlist.html