Re: Aseroids tech question

From: Matt J. McCullar <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 19:10:24 EST

Hey all. My Asteroids has developed a horizontal line across the screen over which the objects "jump." This also shows up on the test screen as "stretching" in the cross-hatch pattern. I read on an Asteroids troubleshooting site that this may be related to a D/A converter. Is this an easy fix? Are the parts readily available? Thanks in advance for any help.
  It could be a bad DAC, or a bad counter driving it, or a bad op-amp following the DAC. The DAC is by far the most expensive chip, and the hardest to get replacements for. If you're soldering-savvy, you can isolate the problem by desoldering both DACs and swap them. If this "invisible line" changes axes (from X to Y), then you've nailed it. Swapping the op-amp chips works this way, too.