Re: Sega Vector Development Tools Project

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_rcn.com>
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 23:42:58 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Fish" <dfish_1@comcast.net>
To: <vectorlist@vectorlist.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: VECTOR: Sega Vector Development Tools Project

> >Chris Candreva wrote:
>> How much traffic do you think this will generate ? While I don't have
>> anything to contribute, I would be interested in following. This is the
>> sort
>> of thing that certainly went on more often in the early days of
>> Vectorlist,
>> and I have no objection to it appearing here.
>
> Actually, it's what started the Vectorlist. The VL was created by Al K so
> that 5 or 6 of us could work on the Sega cracks, hardware descriptions,
> editors and more. I agree with Chris, please keep it on the VL. I probably
> won't be able to contribute either but it's good reading.

I'll keep it here for now, since there really isn't too much to discuss at
this point, but eventually it will get down to C compiler/disassembler type
questions which won't be on topic for this list.

Few updates on this weeks accomplishments:
- Have a "generic" sega vector driver implemented in MAME; tested it by
mapping securityfree Eliminator to the generic rom set, and it ran.
- Ported Clays vector viewer logic to a Java Swing application. Did this
for a few reasons; a little more platform friendly, for some reason Clay's
G80* programs have screwed up fonts on my XP laptop, and I'm a little more
proficient in Java than C and understand the graphic libraries a little
better.

Next up will be turning the viewer into an editor, then it's on to
disassembly of a Sega vector game (whee; I could use some help/tips with
this one).

--
Mark Jenison