Re: Asteroids with no video

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Tue Jul 19 2005 - 18:37:51 EDT

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Tom McClintock wrote:

> Except the G05/V2000 monitors which are B&W and do not have the bleed
> resistor. Hence the point to this topic.

Right, was about to post that.

However, he IS right that you don't need to discharge if you are only
removing the deflection board. I would discharge when removing the HV, even
on a color, because if the thing is broken you don't know what it's going to
do. (Unless, of course, it's broken and has no HV.)

> > There is REALLY REALLY no need to buy yourself that thing. It is Only good
> > to measure HV when adjusting a (new) HV power supply.

Or when you've rebuilt it, replaced the HV diode, or the HV adjust pot, or
anything else. A cheap HV probe will do fine, The most usefull thing (IMHO)
is the handle. If you plan on collecting games, I would pick one up
eventually. You can always discharge this one with a cheap resistor if you
like.

To make it a simple rule -- if you aren't taking the suction cup thing off
the tube, you don't have to discharge. If you are -- Well, I would, someone
else says not to -- your choice.

The ones I see on E-bay currently don't have the meter in the handle.
That would be my preference - The fluke that is up there wants to connect to
your regular multi-meter.

Yes, the HV itself probably won't kill you. It does hurt like a
mother-fscker though, and even worse if it throws your hand into the wood
shelf, or the tube.

The thing about having the right tools is, it makes things easier and faster
in the long run.