Re: Asteroids problem sorta fixed

From: Steven Winslow <winslow_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue Aug 02 2005 - 04:08:37 EDT

Hello !

Always discharge the monitor before messing with anything inside the HV box. I would just replace the HV diode with a new one. They run about $10.00 from Mark Capps (big dog). The HV diode is in-line with the wire going from the transformer to the CRT suction cup. It's probably filled with goo and needs to be cleaned up really well. Be sure the spring contacts inside the holder are nice and clean too. I've fixed a few of these monitors with blooming problems just by replacing this diode.

PS - You should use an HV probe to discharge. The screwdriver method tends to blow the diode.

Good Luck

Steve