Re: Sega Vector Development Tools Project

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_rcn.com>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 20:05:26 EDT

> Mark, any updates on this?

I was afraid someone would ask :-)

Yes, actually there are some updates.

- Completed both a vector viewer and vector editor. The editor can import
either sega vector format binary files, or an XML vector file (priopriatary
format that has simple coodinates instead of angle, length, startx, starty
like the sega vector format). The vector file allows easier import of data
from other sources. An example file would look something like this:

<vectors>
  <vector name="box">
   <startat x="5" y="5">
   <action type="moveto" x="0" y="0"/>
  <action type="drawto" x="10" y="0"/>
  <action type="drawto" x="10" y="10"/>
  <action type="drawto" x="0" y="10"/>
  <action type="drawto" x="0" y="0"/>
</vector>
</vectors>

Considered allowing SVG documents, but that's just too much of a hassle :-)

Anyway, the editor can convert binary->xml and xml->binary and such. Spent
way too much time designing it so it could be flexible (you can swap out the
Sega Vector stuff for say, Atari vector stuff if you wanted to). It's not
pretty, but it works.

- Started looking at compilers, code disassembly, and some other stuff.
Just started this week.

- Franklin Bowen offered to lend a hand and is reportedly going through Star
Trek. Hopefully he can figure out how writing to the Universal Sound board
works. I started with Space Fury and Eliminator since they have less
complex ways of triggering sounds. Hopefully he knows to use the security
free code when disassembling :-).

Since I've been working with the vector graphic stuff a lot, I think the
first code I write for the G80 system will be a simple program that displays
a box on the screen.

Any input on where to go next, or offers of help would be greatly
appreciated.

--
Mark Jenison