Re: Programming Question

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel.rosenzweig_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 23:52:02 EDT

Frank,

If the first 32K of each ROM is correct, you could use a hex editor to edit the file by deleting the last 32K.

In the worst case, I can dig up a utility that I wrote a little while back that will shorten any input file to a specified size. It would do exactly what you need for the ROM.

That being said, I expect that your programmer will let you load the file for the 27256, see that it's 64K and simply truncate it to 32K. Have you tried that?

There may be a simple DOS command that will also do this for you, but I can't think of what that might be at the moment. Last time I had a need for this capability, it was easier to take 5 minutes to write the utility than it was to parse Microsoft's command line help. :-)

I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask the more obvious question.. Is this ROM for a game that's already been archived? If so, then you can easily get the correct image off the net without trying to recover yours. They will be the same bits.

Joel-