RE: Red Baron issues

From: Alex Yeckley <ayeckley_at_elektronforge.com>
Date: Mon Sep 26 2005 - 12:15:53 EDT

>Would this cause monitor deflection failure?

Yes. It may have goose'd the DACs, and possibly some of the other customers
of the -15V line. The op-amps are probably OK, IIRC they are rated for 40V
differential usually. Analog switches, possibly.

> At test point +15 it measures +13.9. Should I be concerned
> about the +13.9?

Yes, but that may go away once you've got the -15V fixed. It probably put a
strain on the 7815, but it probably survived OK. There's probably a failed
component that's bridging them together slightly. I seem to be using the
word "probably" a lot. Nothing that can be taken to the bank without
first-hand testing.

> Do I need a power supply rebuild?

You mean the ARII? No, I don't think so. As long as it's putting out
roughly +22VDC and -22VDC without a large ripple, it should be OK. The 7915
failure was probably just due to age. It's got thermal overload protection,
so if there were an excessive current draw thru it it should've protected
itself. It seems to me that the negative voltage regulators tend to fail
shorted rather than fail open. I give it 50/50 that there are still other
problems though...

Alex

----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com