Re: Wintrons gone!

From: Zonn <mlists_at_zonn.com>
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 18:22:15 EST

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 00:35:15 +0300, peter jones <highwayman2000@mail.ru> wrote:

>considering how many you all want and the stupid-high price your all willing to pay,
>i'm surprised you never contacted these guys.
>
>http://www.hrdiemen.es/
>
>the fact that if i remember right the ampliphone tranny has no outputs other than ht means that they probably have something suitable already.

It's very (extremely) doubtful they have anything that would work. The
Amplifone's HV is tuned with the MC1 and together regulate the HV using
ferroresonant regulation. It's a lousy way to regulate a power supply. As
described here (last entry):

   http://www.machinedesign.com/BDE/Electrical/bdeee7/bdeee7_1.html

The regulation on the Amplifone's suck compared to a working WG6100 HV supply
(series regulated), making the Amplifone's more susceptible to blooming and
vector jitter than a properly working WG6100.

The only thing the Amplifone design had going for it was that Atari could build
them cheap.

The only thing the Wintron people have going for them is they know the precise
inductance values, and core saturation behaviors needed to work in the Amplifone
design, so they can charge $200.

Normally you would *not* want an HV transformer to go into ferroresonance and a
typical HV transformer does not work in the Amplifone design. (In fact it could
be the Amplifone's HV does not saturate, and it may be only the MC1 that runs in
a ferroresonant mode. But the behavior of the HV transformer must still be
properly matched with the behavior of the MC1.)

The real solutions is a rebuilt HV section that uses a nice cheap $30 HV
transformer and solid state series regulation. I thought one had already been
designed, and someone was working on another?

-Zonn