RE: troubleshooting G08-003 monitor - HELP

From: <eyeamnomad_at_excite.com>
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 23:24:11 EST

Okay, thanks for the advice. This is my first attempt at repairing any kind of videogame or monitor, and I am somewhat of a neophyte to all of this, so I am grateful for all of your help! I was trained as an Electronics Technician in the Navy long ago, but I never did much of that kind of work after the schooling. I'm a little rusty. The closest thing to a videogame I ever worked on was the AN/PDR radar set they had at ET school. Nuclear power is more my thing. But I digress.
I have done continuity checks on all the connectors, and they all indicate 0 ohms. The deflection xistors are definitely fine.
I am getting a fluctuating reading at the pins that lead to the deflection coils (like, +/- 20VDC, which isn't +/- 63V, but my DMM isn't that fast). So that seems to be fine. However, I'm getting DC voltages at pins 9 and 10 on the HV unit connector that are about half of what the FAQ/vector monitor guide say I should get (it says 2.8 &amp; 3.5; I'm getting about 1.5 &amp; 2.5).
If I understand correctly, the X and Y signals coming to the HV unit feed IC 900. If IC 900 doesn't get an adequate X or Y signal, it shuts down the flyback transformer. Is that right? This would seem consistent with my initial readings -- the only voltages I couldn't get were the ones that are generated by the transformer (400VDC for focus and brightness control, 6.3VAC for cathode heater).
Therefore, I'm guessing that since the signals are half the normal strength, that's enough to prevent the HV from kicking on. I can't find any bad components in the deflection circuitry or the current limiting PCB's, so I guess my next step is to replace all the caps -- I already have a couple of Zanen cap kits, I just haven't bothered using them yet -- and to clean the pins/reflow solder on connectors, as Mr. Hanlon suggested. Does that make sense?
I hope that does the trick; it will take at least another day or two to do all that. I'll let you know what happens. I'll entertain any other ideas!
- Scott Slaughter