Re: B/W HV Diode Replacement Question?

From: Tom Cloud <robot_tank_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 11:10:52 EST

Hello John, and all...
  I'll certainly discharge the monitor first... I posted a question here a couple weeks ago about using a high voltage probe for discharging a monitor. I used everyones suggestions last week with a raster monitor out of my Tron. I don't know which is worse... seeing/hearing a snap from the high voltage, or not seeing anything at all and wondering if it was discharged already or you're not doing something right!
  Anyway, it was discharged already. So now I thought I'd venture into my vector B/W monitor.

  One more question though...
  How does the housing that holds the diode come apart? Does it twist apart like a fuse holder?

  Regards,
  Tom Cloud

John Robertson <jrr@flippers.com> wrote:
        Don't forget to discharge the monitor first...and that the new HV diode goes in the same way as the old one - one end has a band on it.

  The HV diode on the B&W monitors can fail if the anode cap is directly shorted to the aquadag/common/chassis. This can damage the chain of diodes and leads to the blooming. We use a high voltage probe in our shop to discharge ALL monitors...

  http://www.flippers.com/vid-tips.html#discharge

  John :-#)#