Tempest Troubles...

From: Al Warner <al_at_alsarcade.com>
Date: Tue Jun 06 2006 - 18:52:12 EDT

Hey Everyone,

I have been trying to restore a Tempest for a friend of mine and I've
hit a barrier. I have 2 boardsets. One was described as working and
the other was dead. The machine that one set of the boards were in must
have spent some time outside because the cabinet looked it. I took the
monitor and wiring out and put it into a nicer cabinet. The monitor was
capped with a Zanen kit and tested fine in my Tempest.

I hooked up the first PCB set and it ran but there were math board
problems (missing things, etc). Then I hooked up the second board set
and it smoked the Low Voltage. I replaced the Low Voltage section with
an LV-2000 (older kit type) and it was good to go. I tested it with the
first boardset and it looked like before. Then I moved the smaller
board from the other set to the "Mostly Working" set and it came up and
looked fine.

I left it running for 15 minutes and brought my Wife down to see it.
While we were watching it, the vectors turned to blobs on the screen and
the spot killer started kicking off and on. I moved the monitor over to
my working Tempest and it was fine.

Now I'm back to the board that blew out the monitor. I looked at the
pots to adjust the monitor and one of them (the Y-LIN) was missing the
adjustment knob. The part that is soldered to the PCB is still there,
but the part you turn is missing. Could this have been what blew out
the LV on the monitor?

I don't have an Oscilloscope, is there a way to test whether the the
board would damage the monitor again?

Thanks,

-Al-