Tempest twisting images...

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 15:39:43 EDT

Ok, I'm lazy enough, but has anyone seen a situation with a Tempest
monitor where the picture twists (+ Y axis) upon the display of the
TEMPEST name for a second? Rather interesting distortion, I
originally thought it was Q606 (2N3716) that was having life issues,
but no, replacing it didn't change this distortion, then I tried the
driver - MPUSU57 - again not the problem.

Understand that I've re-capped the HV (stable voltages) and installed
the LV2000 kit - stable +/- B voltages. Grounds are excellent, tried
jumper wires to double check. Game seems happy otherwise, no
smoke...connectors all inspected and solder built up on the monitor
driver board pins as usual.

There is also a twisting wave that appears in the picture on various
levels - only during play, not in the attract mode - curiouser and
curiouser.

I thought it had to do with the speakers as it seemed to be most
prominent when the sounds were very active (lots of shots,
explosions), so I unplugged the speakers - no change.

Yeah, pictures will be nice, but I'm off the warehouse right now to
deal with other issues. Perhaps I can get them tomorrow and post them
somewhere.

Archives have nothing under twist or distortion that I can find
relating to this...closest I found was "Tempest Boardset Barreling"
by Dave Langley back a few years.

John :-#(#

                  www.flippers.com