Re: Vector test monitor

From: Philip Pemberton <philpem_at_dsl.pipex.com>
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 11:57:33 EDT

Paul Maddern wrote:
> I'll take it apart tonight after work and maybe take some pictures of it?
>
> And bah! ;o) I wish I could fit another 15" monitor on my test bench! No
> room!!! This one is only about 10" which is VERY nice! Added to that it's
> a nice neat unit - I just hope it's not useless!!!

I've got a DG7/32-based CRT X-Y display on my workbench at the moment.
Unfortunately there's something wrong with the power supply hardware, and
there's an incredible amount of noise on the HV lines (+600V especially),
which is (ATM) creating a nasty double-image on the CRT (and when the input is
grounded, you get a diagonal line).

"Rebuild the CRT PSU" is right at the top of my to-do list.. I've tried to
trace the fault and had no luck at all, so I plan to do a complete re-design
of part of the circuit.

I also need to do some tests to figure out what the slew rate of the
deflection amp circuitry is...

Details at <http://www.philpem.me.uk/crt/> if anyone's interested.

This is all part of my "make a homebrew DVG clone" project (which spawned the
'Hitch-Hacker's Guide to the Atari DVG' that I published on my site at the
back end of this year, and updated in February). Speaking of which, I still
need to write up my notes on the "Opcode Zero" DVG instruction (it's a
two-word DRAW ABSOLUTE instruction with a scale factor of 1/512, IIRC).

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@dsl.pipex.com         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G