WG6102 troubleshooting

From: Scott Caldwell <scottcaldwell_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 23:23:52 EDT

I picked-up a a WG6102 for my Tempest cabaret and so far it's working,
with a few minor issues:

- The monitor cuts out from time to time, but a good, solid hit on the
side will turn the monitor back on (or off), so I am assuming
cold-solder joints (easy enough to fix).

- The bottom of the screen is slightly bowed upwards (I forget what that
is called). I recall reading something about there being two very
specific parts in the HV unit that causes that, but can't find the info
now. If anyone knows the specific parts and the specific values they
should have for a WG6102, please speak-up. I've been reading through
the various vector FAQs and admit I would like to see more info
specifically on the WG6102 vs. the WG6100 and WG6101. Some previous
work has been done on this monitor, but when I pull it for the repairs,
I'd like to just shotgun it with a complete cap kit, new transistors,
etc., etc., etc. The problem is I have never seen a definitive,
complete, correct, etc. list of parts specifically for the WG6102 to buy.

Someone sent me the WG6102 (Atari 3rd printing for X/Y quadrascan
monitor and it appears to be a WG6102) manual, so thank you to
whomever that was and I'm sorry for forgetting whom you are. That
manual is a good start, but I'm willing to bet there were some later
revisions (fixes) not covered in that manual. I've heard complaints
about suggestions or errors in the WG6100 FAQ, so I'm not sure what to
believe in it or not.
:(

Scott C.