Re: Space Duel monitor problems.

From: COLIN DAVIES <colin.w.davies_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 07:27:06 EDT

Sounds like a HV problem - Did you recap that ? - If the HV is failing, the display will change in size, this *may* also have a knock on effect with the Z cutoff and cause the lines. Off the top of my head, you can check one of the output voltages from the HV unit (was it 90v or similar) and this should give you an idication of the state of the HV without having to use a probe.

  I totally rebuilt my Starwars HV unit with new caps (including the non-electrolytics) and semi's (modern equivalents when parts were not easily available) - pretty much everything apart from the resistors, transformer and the case transistors. Its really sweet now - Just need to get one of Clays display correctors if/when he makes some more !!

  The deflection board had a few new parts, but nothing quiter so drastic !!

  Regards, Colin

Chas Gantz <corvair@comcast.net> wrote:
  Someone had replied to me, but their was nothing in the body of the message.

My monitor was capped about 2 years ago. I've maybe played 20 games
on it total since then. It seldom gets turned on.

Any ways, I turned it on, and within 10-15 minutes I started to see
the vector lines going to the center of the screen, and also
everything on the screen started to get larger. I quickly shut it off
and I turned it back on after a while and everything is still large
and I still see the vector lines.

In the past I have left it on for 30 minutes or so w/o any problems.

Is this the case of a "cheap cap kit"????

Any ideas on what went bad??

Thanks in advance once again

Chas

http://home.comcast.net/~corvair/