Re: Space Duel Missing Thrust and Explosion Sounds

From: Malcolm Mackenzie <maxstang_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 18:35:19 EDT

That was it! Put the capacitor back in and the sound problem is cured. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Solarfox. Now,...on to the Black Widow board....-Malcolm

solarfox@texas.net wrote: On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:50:58 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

>So I got a dead Space Duel working except for the thrust and explosion sounds.
>I'm figuring a bad ROM. Anyone know which ROMs do the sound? Thanks -Malcolm

If everything else is working except the explosion sounds, I think it's
highly unlikely to be a bad ROM. I'd think it's much more likely that one
of the POKEYs or its associated circuitry isn't working properly...

Try swapping the POKEYs at B3 and C/D3 and see if you get your
explosion sounds back while losing some other sounds. You could also try
swapping or replacing the LM324 quad op-amps at B5 and D5.
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)