Re: Re[2]: WG 6102

From: Kenneth Sumrall <ksumrall_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 21:54:58 EDT

peter jones wrote:
> [...]

I joined this list back in April, and have been lurking till now.

I once had a hard to find loose connection on my car amplifier. The power
supply filter/power reserve electrolytic caps looked to be properly soldered
down, and there was some glue that used to hold them on the board (vibration
is an issue in car electronics) but the lead was broken inside the cap, just
past where it entered the cap. Ugh. It was rather hard to find. I knew it
was a loose connection problem though, because when I slammed the car door,
the problem temporarily went away. I only discovered it when I decided to
just replace the caps out of desperation, because nothing else seemed broken.
I unsoldered one of the two leads, and the cap fell off the board, with the
broken lead sticking up out of the board.

This cap was also under a daughter card, and hard to get to, so I couldn't
easily use the "poke it with a stick and see if it changes things" test.
I agree you need to get a plastic rod and start poking at components.

Good luck!

Ken Sumrall
ksumrall@pacbell.net