Re: WG 6102

From: Scott Caldwell <scottcaldwell_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 23:05:48 EDT

Thought I'd give everyone an update on this, especially now that it's fixed!

Tried the following to resolve the issue:

- Playing with the HV cut-off pot (remember, this is a WG6102), but that
   wasn't the cause.

- Replaced literally half, or a little more, solder on the neck board to
ensure
   it had no cold solder joints, but that wasn't the problem.

- Borrowed a working WG6101 HV cage to test in mine and sure enough,
   with this other HV cage, the monitor is solid. OK, now I know where to
   concentrate my efforts.

- Went over my HV PCB again, but could find no problems, bad or cold
   solder joints, etc. Literally 1/3 of the parts had been replaced
with Bob
   Robert's deluxe kit, plus some other parts I installed. The only other
   thing was to resolder everything, so that's exactly what I did. I
literally
   removed and replaced the solder for every single solder point on the
   HV PCB, including the transistor mounted to the side of the HV cage.
   When I reinstalled the HV cage, the monitor fired right-up and hasn't
   failed since! It had to be one of the parts that doesn't get
replaced with
   Bob's kit, but heck if I know which one!

My Tempest cabaret is now alive and working great and we can count
Tempest cabaret serial # 1433 as restored (was converted to an Arkanoid!).

Scott Caldwell